The Preliminary Stage is a group play “best of” bracket across seven games of play. The Board Topper from each game proceeds to the DBN Invitational Championship Game. Games 1-4 are “Semi-Final” games. Games 5-7 are “Second Chance” games.
Board Draw and Preview on Countdown: Wednesday, February 8, 8p EST
- Round 1 – Semifinal: Friday, Feb 17, 6p EST / 12a CET / 10a AEDT (Saturday)
- Round 2 – Semifinal: Saturday, Feb 18, 10a EST / 4p CET / 2a AEDT (Sunday)
- Broadcast for Rounds 1 and 2: Saturday, February 18, 3:00 PM EST
Second Chance Games
- Round 3 – Second Chance: Saturday, Feb 18, 6p EST / 12a CET / 10a AEDT (Sunday)
- Round 4 – Second Chance: Sunday, Feb 19, 10a EST / 4p CET / 2a AEDT (Monday)
- Broadcast for Rounds 3 and 4: Sunday, February 19, 4:00 PM EST
The Board Toppers from the seven preliminary games will compete in the Championship Game to determine the winner of the 2023 DBN Invitational.
- Championship Game: Saturday, Feb 25, 1p EST / 7p CET / 5a AEDT (Sunday)
- Broadcast for Championship Game: Saturday, February 25, 6:30 PM EST
Players are required to check in 30 minutes prior to the start of each game.
Below is a summary of the rules for 2023 DBNI. For the complete rulebook, see 2023 DBN Invitational Rules.
- Code of Conduct: The 2023 DBNI will be governed by the DBN Code of Conduct. Violations of the Code of Conduct will not be tolerated and may result in disqualification from this and future DBN events.
- Title: The winner of the DBN Invitational will be heralded as the DBN Diplomat of the Year. No other awards will be given.
- Seeding: All players will be seeded prior to the tournament according to their place in the final DBNI Standings.
- Preliminary Stage:
- The Preliminary Stage consists of four Semi-Final games and three Second-Chance games.
- For all Preliminary Stage games, power selection and board-top tiebreakers proceed according to the Paris method, seeded by DBNI seed.
- All 28 players play one Semi-Final game each. The four winners (either by board-top or solo) advance to the Championship Game.
- Of the remaining 24 players, the top 21 by DBNI seed play one Second-Change game each. The remaining three players are first alternates. The three winners (either by board-top or solo) advance to the Championship Game.
- Championship Game:
- The Championship Game will use the Paris method for power selection and board-top tiebreaker, seeded according to performance in the Preliminary Stage in the following order: solo in semi-final game, solo in second chance game, top in semi-final game, top in second chance game. Ties will be broken by DBN Invitational seed. Note that the size of board-tops in the Preliminary Stage has no effect on seeding for the Championship Game.
- The order of alternates for the Championship game will be determined by performance in the Preliminary Stage. Players playing two games will rank ahead of those playing one, and then players will be sorted by average center count during the preliminary stage games and DBNI seed.
- Game rules:
- 1901-1909: 15 min for spring and fall negotiations, 3 min for retreats and adjustments.
- 1910 onward: 10 min for spring and fall negotiations, 3 min for retreats and adjustments.
- 3 minute grace periods are provided to prevent NMRs caused by technical difficulties. Deliberate use of grace periods will be considered a CoC violation.
- Draw votes are secret and must be unanimous.
- Games will be automatically drawn if they reach Winter 1916.
Below are the participants for the 2023 DBN Invitational, in seed order.
- 1 Brandon Fogel
- 2 Peter McNamara
- 3 Riaz Virani
- 4 Tim Crosby
- 5 Ed Sullivan
- 6 Josh Hennessy
- 7 Bradley Grace
- 8 Christophe Borgeat
- 9 Jason Mastbaum
- 10 Nicolas Sahuguet
- 11 Katie Gray
- 12 Steve Personeni
- 13 Andrei Gribakov
- 14 Nicolas Taillet
- 15 Karthik Konath
- 16 Robert C. Schuppe
- 17 Christopher Ward
- (18 Johnny Gillam)
- 19 Jason Bennet
- 20 Greg Matthews
- 21 Noam Brown
- 22 Ruben Sanchez
- 23 Morgante Pell
- 24 Farren Jane
- 25 Liam Stokes
- 26 Loic Borgeat
- 27 Ben Kellman
- 28 Chris Brand
- 29 Matthew Totonchy
- 30 Rony Mordvinov
- 31 Christian Brown
- 32 Zachary Moore